ISSI 2013 – Vienna, Austria
The Department of Information and Library Science was well represented at the 14th International Society of Scientometrics and Informetrics Conference was held July 15-19, 2013 in Vienna, Austria. ILS doctoral students Bradford Demarest, Chaoqun Ni, and Andrew Tsou, recent ILS Ph.D. graduate Erjia Yan, ILS faculty members Katy Bӧrner, Blaise Cronin, Ying Ding, Staša Milojević, and Cassidy Sugimoto, and Cyberinfrastructure for Network Science Center staff Robert Light and David Polley contributed to the conference.
• Johan Bollen (Associate Professor of Informatics and Computing, IU Bloomington) gave the keynote address. His talk was titled: Social Network Analysis.
• Conference Proceedings
Blaise Cronin received the Derek de Solla Price Medal from the journal Scientometrics, an award given by the journal to scientists with outstanding contributions to the fields of quantitative studies of science. His acceptance speech was titled ‘Whither is fled the visionary gleam?’: Peerless Price and the Big Picture. The ISSI Newsletter (Vol.9, No.2) includes an interview of Dr. Cronin by Balázs Schlemmer.
Katy Bӧrner presented two papers, organized the Standards of Science Mapping and Classifications Workshop, and taught Sci2: A Tool of Science of Science Research and Practice.
- Light, R.P., Polley, David E., & Bӧrner, K. Open data and open code for big science of science studies.
- Reijnhoudt, L., Costas, R., Noyons, E., Bӧrner, K., & Scharnhorst, A. ‘Seed + Expand’: A validated methodology for creating high quality publication oeuvres of individual researchers.
Cassidy Sugimoto was a judge for the Doctoral Forum, chaired a session on Technology, and co-authored papers or posters with the following colleagues. (The names of ILS faculty and doctoral students are bolded.)
- Lariviere, V., Macaluso, B., Sugimoto, C.R., Milojević, S., Cronin, B., &l Thelwall, M. The nuanced nature of e-print use: A case study of arXiv.
- Sugimoto, C.R., Lariviere, V., & Cronin, B. Supply and demand in scholarly publishing: An analysis of factors associated with journal acceptance rates.
- Sugimoto, C.R., Milojević, S., Tsou, A., & Ding, Y. Career aging and cohort succession: An analysis of social scientists.
- Ding, Y., Yan, E., Sugimoto, C.R., & Milojević, S. Lead-lag topic evolution analysis: Preprints vs. paper.
- Poster: Ni, C. & Sugimoto, C.R. Exploring interdisciplinarity in Economics through academic genealogy: An exploratory study.
- Poster: Demarest, B. & Sugimoto, C.R. Interpreting epistemic and social cultural identities of disciplines with machine learning models of metadiscourse.
Photo Credit Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria by Michael Wifall
Some rights reserved
Posted July 23, 2013